Saturday, January 05, 2019

Starting the New Year with Strength.

Track season resumed today with a non shield meet.  I had originally entered the 100m hurdles, 100m sprint, long jump, javelin and 400m.  However, due to a minor hamstring strain, I decided to skip the hurdles as a precaution, and to better suit an online virtual decathlon challenge, I swapped the javelin for shot put.

First up, the 100 metres was the high risk event.  I knew I had to hold back a bit to avoid re injuring my hamstring.  I kept most of the race below 90%, but still managed 14.05 into a stiff 3m/S headwind.

Despite a slight reduction of speed in the long jump, improved take off power allowed me to exceed 4.10 metres on all 3 jumps, with the best jump being 4.27m.

Shot put followed soon after.  I haven’t had much luck with shot put this year, but today I was in excellent form, beating my old PB with my second put, then exceeding that in the third round to set a new PB of 6.99 metres - 60cm better than previous.

With no high jump offered, I did the GVR “high jump” hill climb event up a nearby hill to warm up for the 400 metres.

The 400 metres was my last event.  With success at recent training near PB times, I was confident of a good result.  Like the 100m, I had to limit my acceleration to around 90%.  Once up to cruising speed, I maintained speed for the first 200 metres, which left me in a good position.  Opened up on the second bend, with a good race for second place with my coach.  The close race pushed both of us to our limits for the entire home straight.  I won the race for the minor placing in my heat, and set a new PB of 1:01.64, beating the old one by 0.84 seconds.

Today was a very good day.  Other than my residual injury, I was in great form, much better than before Christmas.  The biggest change in that time is I started a highly sport (for sprints, and figured good for ladder climbing) weight based strength routine.  This seems to be working.

My next challenges are to attempt the 400m hurdles next week, with a view to competing in that event for points in the country championships in 3 weeks time.  Also, at the championships, my goal is to break the 60 second mark for 400 metres.


- Tony via Tumblr http://bit.ly/2SyC72F

No comments: