Friday, January 18, 2019

Doing Parkrun in track season.Lately, I’ve been thinking about how to bring the benefits of...

Doing Parkrun in track season.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about how to bring the benefits of exercise to more autistics in my community. And I’m not alone with these thoughts, with others also interested in doing the same (more information when the time is right).

Anyway, one thing that makes things easier is that I’m an exception in being a sprinter. Distance running seems to suit more autistics. This is good because there’s more inexpensive and frequent opportunities for distance runs.

At the top of my list would be Parkrun. For those not familiar with Parkrun, it’s a weekly free timed 5k run (or walk if you prefer) that’s run by volunteers in many places around the world. Parkrun has been used in other parts of the world as a venue for autistic and intellectually disabled people to exercise in a controlled public setting.

To achieve these goals locally, I want to form a closer relationship with the Parkrun. I have run it a couple of times, but now that I’m in peak season, running 5km is not appropriate for this stage in my training and competition cycle. But there was another option. Parkrun relies on volunteers to operate, and as luck would have it, there was a vacancy for this week’s Parkrun.

I arrived early, found the other volunteers, received my vest and some instructions. I was assigned to be the marshal on the last turn before the finish. My job was to make sure the runners were aware of other park users and walkers, as well as encourage them . This was a lot of fun.

My experience as a volunteer was as positive as those I’ve had as a runner. I’m a big fan of Parkrun, because it caters to as many people as possible, from casual walkers to state and national champions, and all abilities. Prams and pets are also welcome, making it a very inclusive event. The people are friendly and supportive as well. If you haven’t done a Parkrun, do yourself a favour and give it a go.


- Tony via Tumblr http://bit.ly/2CtJeme

No comments: