Saturday, October 20, 2018

Final Test for Mandurah, Strong Winds and a PB.

This week was round 3 of AV Shield.  It was also my last local meet, before traveling to Western Australia for the Australasian Police and Emergency Services Games.  I had entered 8 events for this week, namely 100 metres, 200 metres, 800 metres, high jump and discus.

First up was the 200 metres.  Conditions were tough with a very strong headwind from a front which has passed through a few hours earlier.  With my major meet now just over a week away, I erred on the side of caution, taking the early part of the race easy.  Once I started facing the wind towards the end of the bend, I pushed hard and found was able to gain a lot of ground into the wind.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to maintain that amount of power into the wind for the entire length of the straight, and finished a close second in my heat in 28.19. 

Next up was the high jump.  I chose a starting height of 1.20m, thich took 2 attempts to clear.  My next height was 1.25m, which I cleared on the first attempt.  Wasn’t able to get my run up right for 1.30m, and missed that height.

Back to the track for the 100 metres.  Unfortunately, the high jump stressed my heel a bit, and the cool conditions required caution again.  Ran a time of 14.13, with most of the race run well below my capabilities.

My final event was the discus.  As the start time was the same as the 100 metres, I didn’t get a chance to do any warmup throws, which lead to the jokes about not wasting my good throws on warmups.  And there seemed to be a bit of truth in that joke, as my first throw was a PB of 19.22.  Second throw was a bit wobbly and short, and the last throw was 19.02, even though I didn’t follow through properly, which probably cost me a metre or more.

Overall, it wasn’t a bad day in tough conditions.

Stay tuned over the next week or two as I travel to Mandurah for the Games.


- Tony via Tumblr https://ift.tt/2J7IB4A

No comments: