Wednesday, March 15, 2017

2017 State Championships Day 3

Been a bit slack posting the final day’s activity, but anyway, here it is.  My first event was the hose and ladder 5s.  This event is the reason I took up athletics initially, because the main part of the event is a sprint of approximately 100 metres to the foot of the ladder.

With the requirement for top speed, I took the time to do a full warmup, then rest before the run.  The run itself got off to a shaky start, I had a minor fumble when getting the branch, which had a further effect of leading to uncertainty about how the hose was sitting in the harness, which further delayed my acceleration to top speed.  When I reached top speed, everything fell into place, with a smooth (and fast!) run followed by a smooth climb.  Our run was 24.40 seconds, which got us 5th place.

The rest of the morning was a succession of runs around 20-30 minutes apart.  Next event was the 4 man Y, which didn’t go so well.  At this time, I was planning on taking lunch, but I got a last minute call to fill in for the A side, to replace someone else who was injured.

I filled in the the A team’s hose and reel 8s, assisting the first length to its final position.  First run we got beaten, but got to the fine as one of the “2 fastest losers”.  Our final run wasn’t as good as hoped either, and didn’t place.

The final event was the champion 4s.  With teams from all 3 classes competing, there was very little chance of scoring a place, but we were hoping to make the final, after 2 rounds of heats.

First round was a win by 1/100th of a second, but we lost the second round, which ended the state championships for us.  However, it ended up being a very successful weekend.  In addition to the win, second place and the 2 5th places that I was involved in, the team scored another win and second place in events I wasn’t a part of.  The final result was second place in the C Section wet aggregate and third place in the C section grand aggregate.

However, there was one final, if unofficial event left to run.  It was a novelty sprint, with proceeds going to charity.  I did quite well, somewhere between 6th and 8th out of 20 odd entrants, :)

Anyway, it was a good weekend with excellent results.  I still have to find another second or two down the track and up the ladder.  I’m not sure how much further I can push track speed, but I will be training hard to make the next level there.  Ladder climbing speed is another issue and I may be able to pick up some time there.  I will need to experiment with training ideas to increase my climbing speed, which is somewhat slower than ideal, though reliable.

Now to finish the last few weeks of track season, before going into winter mode and working towards next year.


- Tony via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2mrmSri

No comments: