Saturday, October 14, 2017

A Challenging DayToday was the second week of track and field. However, today was also the fire...

A Challenging Day

Today was the second week of track and field. However, today was also the fire brigade’s annual preseason training day. This started early in the morning, and consisted of several km of running and walking, along with various physically challenging activities, over a period of 4 ½ hours. I won’t go into details, but to say that I did hold up pretty well, due to my fitness. Despite being the oldest in the team this year, I showed that age is not a limitation.

After the training challenges were over, we had a BBQ lunch, then I had to make a quick trip across town to the athletics track. Yes, despite the tough start to the day, I decided to go through with competing. I arrived just in time to sign into my events, then did a shortened warmup, due to lack of time and energy.

First up was the 200m. It was immediately obvious that the morning’s activities had taken their toll. I finished with a slow 28.33 seconds, but not bad under the conditions!

Next was the triple jump. On the first attempt, one of my feet collapsed, and I wasn’t sure if I would continue. However, my second jump was fine, and I was confident to continue. Finished with a distance of 7.66m.

Then on to the 100m. With my fatigued state, I wasn’t expecting miracles. But I got off to a reasonable start, and managed 13.86 in a field that was slow overall.

My final event was the discus. Had 2 good throws in the 14m range, the best being 14.91m.

I decided not to make myself available for the 4x400m relay, because my speed endurance was severely limited, without having to consider the rigours of the 400m distance.

Anyway, looking forward to being able to go all out next week.


- Tony via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ynqUuf

No comments: