Friday, January 29, 2016

Last athletics meet for a while.

On Thursday evening, I competed in my last athletics meet for around 7 weeks.  This long break was always planned and is due to the bulk of the fire brigade competition season falling within this time.

I entered my usual events for this program, namely the 200m, 60m and triple jump.  First up was the 200m.  With a successful country championships behind me and a fairly well rested week, I was confident in my fitness.  I went all out from the start, into a stiff headwind for the first 70-80 metres, before getting only slight assistance from a near cross wind in the main straight.  Although wind conditions were nowhere near as good as last week, I ran a PB of 27.19 (down from 27.47).

Next event was the triple jump.  This time, I couldn't get my step right, and only managed a best jump of 7.95m, well short of Saturday's 8.27m.  Immediately after the triple jump was the 60m sprint.  Yet again, I narrowly missed out on a PB, running 8.76 seconds.

Due to a lack of entries, there were no relays, so that was the end of the meet.  I doubt I will compete in athletics until the middle of March, after the fire brigade season ends, as that is my focus from now on.

No comments: