Wednesday, May 27, 2015

autismwalk 2015

The weekend of May 23-24 saw the second autismwalk fundraiser.  This is a walk that takes place around a circuit in a park over a 24 hour period.  This year, 5 core walkers, who are all on the spectrum took part.  I was one of those walkers, this being my second year.

For the event, I walked a total of 119 laps of the park, which equated to 95km, some 14km more than in the previous year.  Interestingly, I spent less time actually walking, a bit under 16 hours.  The rest of the time was rest breaks, plus an estimated 1 hour stopping each lap to record the lap count! (119 times an average of 30 seconds ;) ).

As a fundraiser, it was a huge success, raising a lot of money for iOS devices for people on the spectrum.  In addition, it engaged the public, who joined in throughout the 24 hours to support us.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next year, when I am planning to break the 100km barrier.

- Tony

No comments: