Monday, March 25, 2019

2019 Victorian Masters Track and Field ChampionshipsThis past weekend, the Victorian Masters Track...

2019 Victorian Masters Track and Field Championships

This past weekend, the Victorian Masters Track and Field championships were held at their usual venue in the Melbourne suburb of Doncaster.

This year, I entered 6 events - the 4 sprints (60, 100, 200 and 400 metres), plus the 100 and 400m hurdles.

On day 1, I made the 2 hour journey to the track. As I didn’t need to be there until around 1 PM, I was able to take the drive fairly easy. I arrived at 11:45, checked in and had lunch.

First event was the 100 metres. Had a good run, including holding off a last minute challenge to finish with bronze in a season best time of 13.28.

Shortly afterwards were the 100m hurdles. Finished second with a time of 22.02. after the hurdles, I collected the medals for both events.

After a 2 ½ hour wait, my final event for the day, the 400m, was run. Conditions were difficult, with a strong headwind in the back straight and second bend. My race went mostly to plan, except for hitting the wall in the last 50 metres. Finished 5th, in a time of 1:04.30, which wasn’t bad, considering that I lost some fitness due to injury, and was recovering from a cold.

After the 400m, I left the track and checked into my hotel, had dinner and settled in for the night.

Day 2 started with the 400 m hurdles. Again conditions were difficult, with the strong wind from the previous day persisting. Finished with silver in a time of 1:16.80.

The day’s events were in rapid succession. Next up was the 60 metres. Finished 6th, didn’t quite get the start I wanted, and had a slow time of 8.65 seconds.

My final event was the 200 metres. The wind was a headwind for most of the bend, and a slight tailwind in the home straight. Had a strong run in the bend, and held pace well in the straight. By this time, I was in a 3 way race for the minor placings. Managed to push my way to a bronze medal in 27.81 seconds.

Overall, I had a good meet, with a couple of unexpected medals. Next up are the Victorian Police and Emergency Services Games on Saturday, followed by the Australian Masters in late April.


- Tony via Tumblr https://ift.tt/2UV52z5

No comments: