Monday, May 07, 2018

End of the 2017 - 2018 Season

Been a bit busy to update posts for a while, due to other aspects of life getting in the way, so just a quick summary of the rest of my season.

In athletics, there were only a few meets left.  Firstly, the AV Shield Final in mid February.  Here, I ran the 200 metres, triple jump and 4x200m relay.  Ran a 27.50 in the individual 200m.  Triple jump wasn’t as good as hoped, with a 7.73m best jump.  The 4x200m relay went reasonably well, though not in medal contention.

The athletics season finished with a busy weekend on March 24th and 25th.  The 24th saw me competing in two meets.  I spent the morning at the Victorian Police and Emergency Services Games in Croydon, where I ran the 100m, 200m and long jump.  Results were:  Age group (M45) gold in the 100m with a time of 12.71 (hand timed).  This result was achieved in a re-run, after the first run of my heat had issues with timekeepers.  The long jump started as the rain came down.  I got bronze, with a best jump of 3.78 metres.  The final event for me was the 200 metres, where I got age group gold and open bronze.  Time was 27.84 (hand timed).

After the lunchtime medal presentations, I made the short trip to Doncaster East, for the Victorian Masters Track and Field Championships.  In the afternoon, I ran the 100m and 110m hurdles.  I was entered in the 400m, but elected to leave early and head home for the night, due to fatigue from the long day.  With the rain almost cleared, my 100m time was slow, 13.85 seconds, almost a second slower than 4 hours earlier.  For some reason, my head wasn’t in the right place.  However, 20 minutes later, I ran a PB 27.10 in the 110m hurdles, winning the gold medal.

The next day, I returned to the Victorian Masters to run the 60m and 200m.  In the 60m, I ran a solid run, with a time of 8.42 seconds, which was one of my better sprints for the summer.  In the 200m, I ran 27.34 in tricky wind conditions.  While I got no medals on this day, I was happy with my performances.

February was also the peak of fire brigade season, with the state championships being held on the March long weekend.  Our team improved steadily throughout the summer, with a number of wins and placings in the local competitions.

In the state championships, we got third in the Y8, and narrowly missed out on a couple of other placings. 

Now that the season is over, my focus is on next summer.  After a few weeks of relative rest (meaning light training), cross country season has started, and I’m running a few 3km events for fitness in the early weeks, before transitioning to the 1k event.  I’ve also started plyometric training to improve my speed and power.

There is more big news in the pipeline.  Stay tuned for details.


- Tony via Tumblr https://ift.tt/2KHLysV

No comments: