Saturday, August 27, 2016

Cross Country Wrap Up

I’ve been a bit slack posting over winter.  I haven’t run any serious track and field meets since the Police and Emergency Services Games back in April.  Winter here is the time of cross country, which I did participate in most weeks.

Today was the break up of this year’s winter cross country season.  It was an interesting season, with a number of successes.  I won the 1km event by handicap a couple of times, ran the fastest on course time on at least 3 occasions, and just last week, took a massive 44 seconds off my 3km PB, banging it down to 13:33.

Today’s proceedings consisted of an 800m and a 3km handicap on the athletics track.  Being a sprinter, I opted for the 800m event, with the goal to get around in 2:35, and a handicap time corresponding to 2:40 for 800m.  Things didn’t quite go to plan.  I went out too fast, completing the first lap in 1:12, but not able to hold that for the second lap, finishing in 2:45, around my previous 800m PB.  Conditions weren’t ideal for me, with a headwind in the back straight.  Still have to work on race tactics a bit there, though if things go well, it might be the only 800m I run for the next 12 months, while I focus on the sprints.

Following the runs was the presentation of recent ribbons and the end of season presentations.  My 3km performance last week earned me a second place, which I already knew.  However, I did get a surprise, winning the overall fastest on course for the “short” distance (mostly 1km) event.  I won this by 4 points with a combination of regular attendance and some good runs (including the 3 fastest times mentioned previously).

Anyway, with cross country out of the way, focus shifts to the fire brigade and track and field season, which run over the warmer months.  Track season officially starts in early October.  However, there are a couple of out of season meets to come, the first being tomorrow.  I’ve entered the 100m, 200m and 400m, as well as taking on a couple of throws for the first time since school - shot put and discus.  Stay tuned! :)


- Tony via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2bxiLXz

No comments: