Saturday, April 09, 2016

Cross country 2016 starts.

Today, the 2016 winter cross country season started.  This year, I made a strategic decision to focus on the shorter 1km events, rather than the 3km races I ran last year.  The reason is because the 1km is more relevant to my primary athletic discipline, namely sprints.  The 1km races will help develop more endurance for 400m and 200m sprints.

Today’s offerings were 1.06km, 2.4km and 4.8km.  I entered the 1.06km event, and was handicapped at 4 minutes for 1km, which put me starting at 3:05 after the first starters.  When my turn to start came, I got off to a good start, passing several others in the first 200m.  By the 800m mark, I passed those who had started more than 3 minutes ahead, and shortly afterwards, passed the leader.  Finished in first place, with a time of 3:57, and 3:40 for the first 1km.  The handicapper informed me of the bad news, my new handicap would be 3:40 for 1km, which was of no surprise. :)  Looking forward to running with my new handicap, which will make the races more challenging.  Overall, I’m happy with my performance, and my winter training has started off on a good note.

Next week, it’s back to the track for the Police and Emergency Services Games, where I will be competing in the 100m, 200m and 400m sprints.


- Tony via Tumblr http://ift.tt/1YkRRT8

No comments: